Tuesday, December 20, 2011

From Darkness to Light

 
"...God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin." 1 John 1:5-7.
I know that when one is in darkness, one is separated from the "Father of lights", the One in whom is no darkness at all. And, when one is separated from the God of love, and is miserable, self-deceived, discouraged, convicted of sin, then there is only one Source of light that can deliver one from all the dark things in one’s life, and give one a new life, a life of faith and freedom, walking in the light.
As I look back at my past experience and compare it with where I am now, I see that I was led "out of darkness into His marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9.
"The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble." Proverbs 4:19. Before I really knew God, and I walked in darkness, I couldn’t see what I stumbled at. So I couldn’t see the solutions to my problems either, when I chose the darkness rather than the light, that is. Thankfully, God had something better planned.
For some time in my life, I knew some things about God, Jesus and the Bible, but I was still in the dark. I hadn’t yet come to the love of the truth, because I was so comfortable in sin. Yes, I was comfortable, but not happy. I knew I was deep in sin and selfishness, plus I was worldly, and much of the time I thought spiritual things were boring. Deep down though, sometimes I understood that they were true. But, I pushed away those convictions as I hardened my heart, seeking my own selfish pleasure.
Spiritual things are spiritually discerned, so as I look back, I see that when I refused to do what I was convicted of, I was rejecting the light that the Holy Spirit was trying to lead me into("he that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life," the more abundant life. And "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace," all things I really wanted, but for a while I *{compare with James 4:8 on the next page} wavered between choosing them and the things I wanted selfishly that were not good.). Also, as I rejected the Holy Spirit, I couldn’t even discern spiritual things, so I attempted to hide from the light, because I loved darkness. When the light cut through the darkness, I ran away from it, but it persistently chased me. Then it was as if I cried, "Help!" But wait, just who was I crying out to? Certainly not myself or Satan...was it...God, the One that was disturbing my ‘peace’ and harassing me, not letting go of my heart till I was willing to listen to Him?
More and more I saw God’s mercy and care and love for me. He wasn’t asking me to just give up the bad things that I liked. He was asking me to leave the darkness, and walk in the light that He graciously gave me, and the light would overpower the loved-yet-miserable darkness. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18. The more I beheld God’s true goodness and love, and the more I saw of His ways, and the more peace that came when walking with Him, the less attractive – the more wrong and debased – my sinful, worldly, and selfish ways were to me. As He lovingly convicted me of some things, I lovingly(with the love and desire that HE provided along with the enmity for sin), willingly did as He said, with great satisfaction and peace.
So my heart went from being hard as stone to being soft, willing, and subdued ("according to the working whereby He is able even to subdue ALL things unto Himself"! Philippians 3:21). In my life, more and more, step by step, God applied to me the truth and power of Ezekiel 36:25-28: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you ["Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." 2 Corinthians 3:17.], and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments, and do them...and I will be your God."
If anything is separating your soul from God, then it is darkness. And, the only thing that can dispel the darkness is light. "Therefore I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me. Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. I will bear the indignation of the LORD, because I have sinned against Him, until He plead my cause, and execute judgment for me: He will bring me to the light, and I shall behold His righteousness." Micah 7:7-9.
Again(this seems to come out in almost every chapter I write), God speaks to us through our consciences, giving us rays of light to penetrate through the darkness, and He does this out of love for us. He’s not trying to make us miserable, but I know, at least from my experience, coming to the light can be painful and it exposes sin and selfishness. On the other hand, if we shrink from the light, sin and selfishness gets worse, but when we come to the light, there is a big struggle. What is better? To escape for a while from the light that exposes sin, and be proud, or, to be humble, and acknowledge our sins and faults before Him, that we may have forgiveness, and power to have victory in overcoming sin and self, bringing glory and honor to God and our Savior? Yes, it is a struggle, "but He giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye *double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up." James 4:6-10. Do you want laughter now, and sorrow and regret later? Or do you want to draw nigh to God NOW, humbling yourself, giving Him your mind, heart, and life, so then you wouldn’t have this up-and-down, false joy, but instead, peace and true happiness in God?
We need to be willing to acknowledge our true condition before God. He already knows it, so what better thing to do with it than to give it to Him, confessing our sin and claiming victory and a new life in Him? And, I know that when you ask God for hope and faith, He gives them to you, and day by day(no matter what happens today or whenever) you learn more through the huge struggle, and yhou keep going through faith in Jesus Christ. I know you just need to start following Him if you haven’t already, and if you have already, I know you just need to keep going, listening, trusting, and obeying. Do by His grace and power with a willing heart whatever He says, walking not by sight, but by faith! Jesus Himself, right here, right now, wants this for you! He can help you and lead you today, tomorrow, and everyday, as you draw nigh to Him, and He will draw nigh to you. That is true all the time. Would we dare say that our Almighty, loving God and Savior is limited to certain circumstances, and that during the hardest times He is powerless? If we wouldn’t say these words, then we should not think them or have them in our attitudes or show in our lives and choices. We must choose to NOT think that way anymore! I used to, but God is Almighty, and now I know it! In fact, I’m remembering right now that when I was really struggling, I kind of thought that God couldn’t help me. But, when I thought those thoughts or had that attitude and outlook in struggles, Jesus would say to me, not in these exact words, but basically this:
"You know deep down that I am not powerless. You just don’t want to face this, because it would be acknowledging you have a need, and it would be humiliating. But this is not gray; it’s black and white. If you choose to do the wrong thing and harden your heart, oh, my child, that would sadden me, and draw you away from Me. But, if you choose to do the right thing, humbling yourself, separating from sin rather than from Me, taking the cross of self denial, My peace and happiness and love will flow into your heart, mind, and life. You will be rejoiced about by the angels of heaven, including the ones who I send in your behalf, in behalf of sinful man, that they may be led out of darkness into My marvelous light! And you may not know the immediate results of your choice to do right – but Ryann, that’s all part of walking "by faith, not by sight" [He’d be smiling at that point, with love, power, encouragement, and the assurance that the outcome of my right choice would be very good and bring happiness and peace to me, and glory and honor to Him] ; now you really, practically understand that verse in My word! It is real, as I am real to you, and I will really empower you – plus, making the right decision will just add to the good of your eternal interests, and to the good records pf heaven. In the end, not what happens to you now as a result of your good choice, is what matters. I promise to give you peace, draw you closer to Myself, give you victory, and make you happy, and more...Just trust in Me. You don’t have to do everything; in fact, you can’t, but just be willing, abide in My words, follow My example and My lead, and know that ‘faithful’ am I that call ‘you, who also will do it.’" 1 Thessalonians 5:24.
Brother, sister, Jesus speaks to you often. What does He say to you? Listen, trust, and obey. Remember these three principles, live them, and just see what happens. Here are some promises that when you ask for, God will give to you, as He is infinitely more desirous to give than you are to receive (Also, Jesus said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35.) : "The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath." "Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help. Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation. Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt. Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them. Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them. For without cause have they hid their net for me in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul. Let destruction come upon them unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall. And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in His salvation." "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you...Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up." "Save Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up forever." "The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The LORD is nigh unto them who are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many [Jesus knows how many] are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all."
"He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death." "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." "Jesus said unto those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." "Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God on the children of disobedience. Be ye not therefore partakers with them. For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them...he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light." "For Thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness." "For He satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness. Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron; Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High: Therefore He brought down their heart with labour; they fell down, and there was none to help. Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and He saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder...He hath broken the gates of brass[what are the gates of brass in your life?], and cut the bars of iron in sunder. Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted. Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and He saveth them out of their distresses. He sent His word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. Oh that men would praise the LORD for His goodness, and for His wonderful work to the children of men!" Proverbs 15:24; Psalms 35:1-9; James 4:8,10; Psalms 34:17-19; Job 12:22; John 8:31-32; Ephesians 5:6-11,14; Psalms 18:28; Psalms 107:9-21.
When we see the darkness of our ways, as when I saw the folly of my selfishness, worldliness, rebellion, foolishness, etc., our enemy Satan seeks to discourage us. He may say, "Look how bad you are. God frowns upon you, and there’s nothing you can do about it..." As I believed those lies, I felt like I had committed the unpardonable sin, and that it was too late to become a Christian. I felt like I might as well have all the fun and pleasure and all I could get. I still somewhat enjoyed my worldly music, t.v., and trying to be cool like the world and such, and I walked in the dark with a character not very refined at all, yet God drew me. And, as I drew closer to Him, and I became more and more convicted to make some changes, I was finally willing to accept the light as from God Himself. I actually stopped listening to my debasing CD’s. I must say though, I’m only using the bad music and such as one example of how God has worked on me. I needed and need His grace in every area of my life, and He has changed me in so many ways, refining my character, giving me power to live up to the light that I know, and then the light increases along with my faith.
No matter how much Satan lied to me, deep down I still knew that what God said was true. When Satan tried to make me think I couldn’t be saved, God shone His light into that very darkness. It was like He was speaking through my conscience the truth of this verse: "God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:17.
And now I must mention this, because I know at least from my experience, that we not everything changes at once: it is an ongoing process that God takes us through very patiently, and with power. Even after I chose to tell God, "Yes, I choose not to listen to these CD’s anymore, ever again," I still listened to the radio sometimes. I still struggled a lot really, but you know, you have to start somewhere. I had finally come to where I longed to be, to the dawn of a brighter day. Jesus said, "Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk ye while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth." John 12:35. I remember I didn’t know where I was going, but I didn’t have a purpose and I wasn’t headed for heaven. And really, at first part of my motivation for changing was fear of not going to heaven, but one amazing thing is that God can change our motives. So, when He puts the desire for Him in our hearts(and for His will, not ours, which is brought out in the chapter, "A New Heart and a Surrendered Will"), and we grasp it by grace through faith, we have the true power to take hold of eternal life, along with the life that the Lord wants to live now, today, and the rest of our lives. He is now desiring our companionship more than we desire His. So, no matter where we are in life, we can be assured that He will lead us out of darkness into His marvelous light.
"And you hath He quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins: wherein in times past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience[Remember, listen, trust, and obey] :among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ,(by grace are ye saved;) And hath raised us up together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:1-10. "Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6,7.
God will be giving us forgiveness, comfort, peace, power, grace, wisdom, goodness, and whatever else He sees we need. So wherever we are right now, let’s choose to walk by faith in Christ on the "path of the just" which "is as the shining light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." *
*Proverbs 4:18.
You may also want to read the following for more knowledge of God and His ways as found in His word, and when you pray for enlightenment with an open heart and mind, God will give you light and answer graciously: John 3:30; John 8:12; Mark 10:28-30; Matthew 13:3-23; and more, write more references here:

No comments:

Post a Comment